January 28, 2007
I have been getting a lot of questions lately on how Eliza is doing with her Speech Therapy. The good news is she is adding more sounds to her repertoire. She is also using signs more frequently to get what she wants. The bad news is she really isn't talking more than she was before we started. Her Speech Therapist noticed that Eliza seemed to have an oral motor deficit. Also her toddler teach noticed that Eliza would copy everything you would do, but the oral motor. They decided that it was time to bring in an Occupational Therapist. We met with the OT today and she felt that Eliza could benefit from some occupational therapy. We will meet with her once a month and she will work with developing the nerves in Eliza's mouth. Hopefully by doing this it will help her be able to talk. As of right now Eliza has a Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Toddler class, Music class and may be starting an Eating class in March. Hopefully with all this help she will start talking eventually.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow! It sounds like you are leaving no stone unturned. Personally, I think she nows how to talk, but is just determined to see how far she can go on cuteness alone.
I hope things go well with the OT. I really misunderstood what OTs did for a long time, and I am sure I still don't know all they do, but I have been very impressed with what I've seen of them.
The OT working with my step-father, post-hip replacement, has really helped him be independent while he continues to recover. The OT has helped him find all these ways to accomplish all these seemingly little tasks that my step-father would otherwise need someone to do for him.
I'm glad you have so many resources to help Eliza. I know each additional person helping probably makes the speech issue seem bigger, so I understand if you're overwhelmed. I mean, it's great that Eliza has access to speech and occupational therapists, but it's not great that she needs them. You're a good mom to get her the help she needs.
What is "Eating Class"? Does she not know how to chew, swallow, what??
The eating class is basically for kids that have trouble chewing, swallowing, etc. They also do a lot of things to help strengthen the muscles in their mouth. They stick out their tongues, kiss the food, lick the spoon, etc. It helps develop more control of their mouth. In Eliza's case we would do it to help her develop her muscles and "wake up" her nerves in her mouth.
Post a Comment