Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Ragnar Day 1

Already to head out. Notice that we are all still smiling. Well everyone, but Jeff

Well today is the day. Our start time is at 10:00 am. Lucky for me I am in van 2 so we don't start until 4:00. The day started out pretty normal. Errands, getting the house cleaned, etc. At 3:30 the van pulled up and it was time to go. Ross, who was our driver, climbed in and said "I am going to be so sore" We all busted out laughing. He of course was talking about sitting for so long and also that he had done a hard leg workout the day before, but nonetheless it was marked as one of our favorite quotes of the whole trip. In my van we had Ross (driver), Preston, Ann, Jeff, Kim (Ann's Friend) and Tandy (Janet's Husbands ex-wife brother-in-law no kidding). After loading everyone up we were off. We made good time to Liberty and checked in. We couldn't get a hold of Valerie so we weren't quite sure when we would be starting. We headed over to the exchange and waited. It was fun to see everyone really inventive costumes. There was the Unicorns and the Backpackers to name a few. Pretty soon we heard from Valerie that they were about 10 minutes out so I headed across the road to wait. I hear our number called so I checked with the officials to make sure it was the right number when I heard Valerie yelling at me that I needed to get ready. She was so frantic. It was pretty funny. I wasn't quite sure who I was trading off with, but fortunately I saw that it was Stephanie, Valerie neighbor so I was good. Stephanie came running up and slapped a snap bracelet on me. It was really gross as you can imagined. I started off and it was so hot I was dying. I told them I didn't want van support but pretty soon I was dying for a drink. I kept a good pace and finished in good time. I usually run about a 11:00 minute mile, but I finished in a 10:00 minute pace so I was pretty happy. Of course I didn't kill anyone. I was just happy I didn't pass out on the course. It was nice to be the first one done, because then the pressure was off me. Everyone had pretty short runs so we ran through our legs pretty quickly. That is until Kim's leg she had a 7.3 uphill run with no van support. We figure this would be a good time to get some dinner so we headed off to Subway to get something to eat and then headed up to Snowbasin for the exchange. Van 1 was already up there so we caught up with them. While we were waiting for Kim we saw a runner come in without anyone there to meet them. We kept calling their number and even had John go over to exchange 12 to make sure they hadn't accidentally waited there. After about 15 minutes they still hadn't showed up and John thought about going to look for them closer to the exchange and what do you know they were standing there about 15 feet away just shooting the breeze. It was pretty funny. Kim soon came in and she did awesome with a 10:00 minute pace. We waited around while Tandy whipped out his short run and then we headed to Morgan High school to bed down for the night. The plan was to sleep there in the auditorium, but they were charging money so we just slept outside, which wasn't too bad. The night was fairly warm and we were so exhausted we just wanted to get some sleep.


No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany