It is finally here. We were able to pick up our cow last Wednesday. As soon as we arrived at the butcher shop Forrest asked me what that horrible smell was. I had to agree with him, the place did smell pretty bad. When you go into the shop the front desk is right next to where they were cutting up the meat. The smell was pretty bad, but after awhile you kinda of got used to it. After about 5 minutes Forrest couldn't take it anymore and asked if he could just wait at outside. I really need to teach that kid how to breath through his mouth.
When we loaded up the freezer it took up about three shelves. The top shelf is ground beef. The middle shelf is roasts and the bottom shelf is steaks. I also got some odds and ends like stew meat and soup bones, they went on a shelf all by themselves.Last night we had rib steaks. They were very tender. Greg and I noticed they had a different taste to them. We had heard about people who grew up never having store bought meat. When they finally did have store bought meat they thought it tasted pretty bad. We were a little worried that we could have the same problem, but in reverse. So far we haven't minded the taste. The tenderness more than made up for it different flavor that we were tasting.
3 comments:
That's a lot of meat! How long do you think it will last you?
How much of the cow was your share? How long do you think the meat will last your family? I know a few people who buy a share of a cow and they really like the whole thing, so I have more questions for you.
This is considered half a cow. I think we have almost 300lbs of meat. Of course that includes bones. The ground beef is wrapped in 1 lb sections, the steaks are wrapped two to a pack and each roast weighs about 3lbs. We think this will last us almost two years. Everyone I have talked to says that the meat should stay good that long. Next spring we are actually going to look into buying a pig too.
Post a Comment