Sunday, August 5, 2007

Another slithery visitor

August 5, 2007

Several years ago as I was walking down into the basement I noticed what appeared to be a rope across the bottom of our stairs. As I got closer I realized it was a snake. I came up screaming at Greg to go and get it. Greg asks if there was anyway that we could call my dad or my brother. That was when I realized that Greg is scared of snakes. He quickly assured me he wasn't scared he just hated them with a passion. When Greg realized I was serious about him getting the snake he had me go and get a pillowcase. Greg carefully went down the stairs and grabbed the snake. He then came running up the stairs juggling the pillowcase back and forth trying to keep the snake in the pillowcase. I threw open the door and Greg ran out into the middle of the driveway and threw the pillowcase down. He stood there and watched to make sure the snake was slithering away when he realized he was standing in the middle of our driveway in his garments. He made a beeline back into the house with me laughing hysterically.

Since that fateful day I have seen snakes in our yard on numerous occasions. For the most part I try to ignore them. Most of the time I don't even know they are there until I almost step on them. That really gets my heart pounding. Up until yesterday I hadn't seen a snake for at least a year. That was of course until Greg called Forrest out into the garage. Somehow another snake had gotten in. Luckily for my peace of mind Greg got it before it got into our house. Greg overcame his extreme hatred of snakes fueled by his extreme fear of my anger and picked up the snake. He even held onto it long enough for Forrest to come out and pet it. Forrest now thinks snakes are really cool and it is only a matter of a time before he is heading down to the river to catch a snake to bring home as a pet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what type of snakes are around your home?

Denise said...

All we have ever seen is garden snakes.

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany