September 12, 2007
On Sunday I was teaching Sharing Time when I heard Eliza crying. This is very unusual because Eliza likes nursery. I quickly wrapped up my Sharing Time and went out to find out what was going on. Apparently Eliza had pulled one of those big six foot long tables over on top of her and her leg got pinned underneath. Her leg started to swell and she got a bruise. I took her home and gave her some Ibuprofen. We tried to ice it but that just made her more upset. By the time Forrest and Greg got home she was running around. We assumed she was fine, but I called the doctor to ask what I should be watching for. She was encouraged that Eliza was running around. She said to watch if she started to limp or favor the leg or if she seemed to be in more pain. After Eliza woke up from her nap she started to limp. As the night progressed she was limping more and more, but she didn't seem to be in any pain. By this time our doctors office was close and we would need to take her into the ER. We decided that we would wait and see how she was doing on Monday. Monday morning she was still limping so I took her in. Our appointment was at 10:30. We didn't even see the doctor until 11:00. Dr. Stokes felt that she was probably okay, but with the limp we decided to get an x-ray just to be sure. We headed down to radiology and I realized there was now way I could get Forrest to school on time. I had to call Greg to come and get him. Even with us being next in line it still took us 20 minutes to get in. I got Eliza some Doritos and Apple juice to tied her over. When it was our turn the tech asked me if I was pregnant. I told her no and then asked what would they have done if I had been pregnant. She explained that I wouldn't be allowed in the room and Eliza would have to go in alone. That would have been horrible for poor Eliza. She was pretty hysterical with me having to hold her down. I can't imagine what it would have been like if complete strangers would have had to do it. The tech felt so bad she gave Eliza her another sucker. This was only the fourth one of the day. Combined with the Doritos and apple juice she was having a great lunch. By this time it was about 12:30. We headed back up to the doctors office and proceeded to wait. We were lucky enough that we had a great nurse who brought us in some more food and toys to play with. She also kept us updated on what was going on. Finally about 1:30 Eliza fell asleep. Dr. Stokes came in about 2:15 and told us the good news that her leg was not broken, however the table did bend the bone. The reading took so long because the radiologist was concerned about the slight bend in her bone. He finally determined that she would be fine. We were really lucky to get one of the best radiologist at the hospital. Dr. Stokes felt pretty confident that her contusion would heal with time. She still limps a little, but that should clear up in a day or two. Of course it hasn't slowed her down at all. Last night I caught her jumping off our bed.
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Lucky her bones are still so flexible or I'm sure it would have broken. Glad to hear the bend will straighten out on it's own.
Janet
"... however the table did bend the bone." Ouch, that must have really hurt.
The sad thing is after a long day she starts to limp really bad. I really don't know how she escaped without more damage.
Post a Comment