Our 4th of July started late. We didn't have a our usual breakfast to go to so we were able to sleep in and enjoy the holiday. We started off our day with a parade. We decided to join my sister at her parade so that the kids would have someone they could hang with.
The kids were bouncy off the wall they were so excited. The parade started nice and slow with our armed forces. Everyone one stood up and cheered as the military vehicles carry our troops rolled by.
Do you see that white line in front of the kids. That is where we told the kids they could stand.
If you notice in the next picture that didn't last very long. For most of the parade we stood in the middle of the street. Once the military vehicles had passed we started in on the floats. This is when the candy started to be thrown. Kids were diving every which way for the candy. When the candy would stop the kids would start chanting, "Candy, Candy, Candy" It was start out of a horror show. At one point one of the floats even tossed out stuffed animals. Both my sister and I ended up wrestling with some teenagers to get our kids one stuffed animals. It was total madness. It was very easy to be swept into the moment and try to get the most candy and prizes. At the end of the parade they had a water parade. Forrest was in seventh heaven getting soaked from head to foot. When we finally told him it was time to go he was very upset with me because I didn't bring anything for him to change into. I had to tell him that I thought this was a just a water fight with water guns. I didn't realize that they would have full size water trucks that would hose done everything in its path. I promised him next time we went that I would be better prepared. Of course I don't know it there will be a next time. Even if we have to wake up early I would much rather go to our 4th of July breakfast then be stuck out on a hot street with candy being thrown at our heads and little kids pushing every which way to just get a small piece of taffy.
After the parade we headed up to my parents house to welcome home Anne. We were all very excited to see her. It has been a long 18 months with out her. At the Parents we set up a slip and slide and pool for the kids.
The kids had a great time swimming and Eliza even went down the slip and slide all by herself. This is a huge improvement for her because she usually doesn't like water in her face.
After our big meal we headed up front for some fireworks. Unfortunately Eliza was burned with one of the sparkles. We were lucky that Fred had some burn cream that took the sting right out of it. Once all the painkillers kicked in Eliza enjoyed the rest of the show.
Forrest of course loved watching everything burn. He wants to know when we can do it again. I told him it would take about a year for me to recover so he could plan on us doing it again in exactly one year on July 4th.
No comments:
Post a Comment