Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Little Scar To Liven Up Our Week

July 3, 2008

As you all know both of my kids are sick. When Forrest first started complaining about his mouth hurting I was worried that it might be strep. I made an appointment and then hauled him into the doctor. After talking to the doctor she felt that it was more likely the herpes virus then strep, but we did a strep test anyways. I was relieved when the rapid strep came back negative and was still hopeful that it was a minor cold. Those hopes were all dashed when he showed up with cankers on his tongue. Luckily for us it has not been as bad as the first time the kids got it. Both kids are doing great and really only complain about pain when the eat.

Today we got a call from the doctor about the throat culture. I think of the throat culture as just a back up encase the rapid strep didn't work. I didn't realize that they were also testing for other bugs. When the doctor called she broke the bad news to us that Forrest has the bug for meningitis. This totally blew us away. It seems that it is lying dormant right now, but could cause him to become very sick any day now. We are going to start him on a course of antibiotics as soon as he is done with his drugs that he is on for his herpes.

As of right now he isn't considered contagious. He is only contagious if he starts showing symptoms. I am constantly taking his temperature to make sure that he is okay to take somewhere. So far he is doing great. Now we are worried about Eliza. I dragged her into the doctor to have a throat culture done just to make sure she is okay. The doctor didn't think this was necessary since she wasn't showing any symptoms, but I pointed out that Forrest didn't have any symptoms either. The doctor agreed to the throat culture and we should find out on Sunday whether Eliza has the same bug or not. Hopefully she has missed out on this lovely bug. It seems that whenever Eliza gets sick she gets really sick and I hate when my kids are sick.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Your poor family. Hopefully you caught it early enough that Forrest won't get sick. Good luck!

Liz said...

That's horrible. Is this the bacterial meningitis that kids get vaccinated for? Are you still going out of town?

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany